Whatever style home you seek, the siding color and profile you select is an essential step in your remodel. Your siding choice will have a major impact on your home’s curb appeal as it will complement its architecture, design and character. Whether you are looking for a rustic wood siding or smooth siding, keep these tips in mind when making your selection.
Tips in siding selection
Tip 1: Rustic can be Modern!
Rustic modern design has been increasing in popularity with homeowners over the past few years. Pair your rustic siding with contemporary materials such as aluminum for this sleek design style.
Tip 2: Get a sleek exterior
The perfect option for both the urban or suburban setting, a smooth siding is ideal for that sleek contemporary look. Take a look at our Eco-side Smooth collection.
Tip 3: Use the 60-30-10 rule.
When you choose your home exterior makeover color palette, make sure to implement the 60-30-10 rule. That means the primary color should take up 60% of the home (that’s the siding), the secondary color should take up 30% of the home (that’s the gables and accessories), and the accent should take up 10% of your home (those are the trims). Following this general rule of thumb will yield great results and strike a perfect balance between the colors you choose.
Tip 4: Borrow from the neighbors.
You want your home to stand out in order to add curb appeal, but you don’t want it to stick out like a sore thumb. You also don’t want your neighbours to feel like you are “one-upping” them, and you certainly DO want your home to flow harmoniously with theirs. So how do we do this? Borrow at least one color from your neighbor’s color scheme and include it in your own. It doesn’t have to be the primary, or even the secondary, but as long as you include a color from your neighbor’s’ home as an accent (at a minimum), your home will harmonize with theirs and flow beautifully.
Tip 5: Complement the architecture of the home.
While you may want to go crazy with your house color, there are still some limitations that you have to be mindful of. Make sure the color palette you go with doesn’t work against the architecture of the home. For example, if you have a colonial style home it may look great with dark, strong colors but a French colonial may be better suited for a lighter color palette.
Wood Siding Reinvented
KWP Engineered Wood Siding delivers the beauty, authenticity and warmth of traditional wood siding but with a modern twist. See what sets us apart from the rest.
- Whether you want a traditional look with soft earth tones, or a contemporary style with bright, dramatic colors, the choice is yours. Our 2021 color predictions have something to suit every need. Visit each color page for inspiration with color pairings and download our color selector kit today!
- Our painting process plays a huge role in providing the authentic look of wood without any of the upkeep.
- KWP uses 100% recycled wood. FSC certified & eligible for LEED points.
- Heavy duty 1/2″ thickness – 30% thicker than competitive sidings.
- Superior design allows for all nails to be hidden.
- Resists termite damage and will not rot, crack or split.
- Tru-Align™ interlock system ensures precise horizontal alignment.
Design your home online
Designing your dream home has truly never been easier. Give yourself some added peace of mind, and envision your future project with our updated Home Designer!